If you find this newsletter valuable, please forward or share it with a friend and join our community at BeyondThePaperGown.com
August 2023 Volume 15
This summer overflowed with unforgettable moments from personal milestones to getting a chance to participate in international forums focused on improving women’s health.
After my youngest daughter’s graduation from college, we traveled to Basel, Switzerland to attend the FemTechnology Summit on Roche's campus, connecting with experts from many corners of the world. Summit discussions centered on envisioning a brighter, more informed future for women’s health; I facilitated workshops on how women get credible health information. My chat with the organizers offers insights into how the Summit was organized by a passionate advocate who partnered with a large pharma and diagnostics company and how both of whom are making a big impact on women’s health.
Post-conference, we embraced Switzerland's delights — from delectable fondue and chocolates to breathtaking alpine views, reminiscent of my talk with Dr. John La Puma on nature's healing power.
Our trip culminated at London's FemTech Lab event, diving into tech advancements and health insights in women’s health. Experiencing this alongside my newly graduated daughter was special.
Later in the summer, at the Innovation Equity Forum's Steering Committee meeting, sponsored by the Gates Foundation and the Office of Women’s Health Research, I collaborated with global leaders. Our in-person meet, after numerous virtual ones, rejuvenated our drive to champion innovation in women’s health and combat gender disparities in healthcare.
I trust your summer was also fulfilling. Now as autumn draws near, it's a prime time to focus on our health in a holistic way, not just the occasional doctor visits. Explore our articles and podcasts for wellness tips.
However, even with utmost care, life can throw curveballs. My dialogue with the insightful Dr. Monique Nugent sheds light on making daunting hospital visits a tad less overwhelming.
The upcoming weeks are brimming with fresh episodes and enlightening articles, all
Embracing the spirit of a revitalizing fall,
Mitzi Krockover, MD
Join us for an insightful episode of "Beyond the Paper Gown" as host Dr. Mitzi Krockover sits down with esteemed guest Dr. Monique Nugent, a board-certified internist and Associate Director of Hospital Medicine at South Shore Hospital. Dr. Nugent, author of "Prescription for Admission: A Doctor's Guide for Navigating the Hospital, Advocating for Yourself, and Having a Better Hospitalization," takes us into the often-unexplored world of hospital care. In this episode, discover essential advice for navigating hospital stays, including how to communicate effectively with healthcare teams, the importance of clear code status decisions, and the value of being an active advocate in your or your loved one's healing journey. Tune in to gain a deeper understanding of hospital care and empower yourself with the knowledge you need.
Recorded at the Roche campus in Basel, Switzerland, where the FemTechnology Summit unfolded, this episode features two remarkable guests: Oriana Kraft, the visionary behind FemTechnology, and Stephanie Sassman, Global Strategy Lead for Roche Women's Health Initiatives. Discover how this summit is propelling innovative solutions, spotlighting the collective power of collaboration, and advocating for change in women's health. They also talk about the importance of female leadership, how Roche’s focus on women’s health supports innovative solutions and how a small nonprofit came to bring together a global community to consider women’s health issues.
Being discharged from the hospital is a major step in your recovery journey. But it also raises questions about where you'll go next and who will oversee your care. Luckily, you have options. Understanding hospital discharge planning can help you choose the best path forward.
Advanced directives play a crucial role in healthcare planning, yet they are often overlooked. An advanced directive is a legal document that allows you to express your medical care preferences in the event you cannot communicate them yourself. Having clear advanced directives provides essential guidance to healthcare providers and peace of mind for you and your loved ones in the face of serious illness or injury.
September 27, 2023
The Women of Wearables (WOW) innovation showcase and pitching program brings together the brightest minds from around the world to solve some of the most pressing challenges in women's health. From cutting-edge technology to groundbreaking research, FemTech Expo is the ultimate destination for anyone interested in driving innovation and bringing solutions to unmet needs in healthcare and, in particular, women’s health space.
Register for this series of dynamic and informative experiences that will inspire and educate.
Berry Mint Sparkler
- 2 cups mixed berries (such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave syrup (adjust to taste)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 cups sparkling water (plain or flavored, as desired)
- Ice cubes
- Mint sprigs and extra berries for garnish
1. Prepare the Berries and Mint:
- Wash the berries thoroughly and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Remove stems from strawberries and any unwanted parts from other berries.
- Tear the mint leaves gently to release their flavor.
2. Make the Berry Mint Base:
- In a blender or food processor, combine the mixed berries, fresh mint leaves, honey or agave syrup, and lemon juice.
- Blend until smooth. If you prefer a smoother texture, you can strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove any seeds.
3. Assemble the Drink:
- Fill each glass with ice cubes.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of the berry mint mixture into each glass.
4. Add Sparkling Water:
- Top off each glass with sparkling water, leaving some space at the top for garnishes.
5. Garnish and Serve:
- Stir gently to combine the berry mint mixture with the sparkling water.
- Garnish each glass with a sprig of mint and a few extra berries.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- You can customize the sweetness by adjusting the amount of honey or agave syrup. Start with a smaller amount and add more if needed.
- If you want a stronger mint flavor, muddle some mint leaves in the glasses before adding the ice.
- For an extra twist, consider using flavored sparkling water, such as berry-flavored or citrus-flavored water.
- This drink is best enjoyed fresh. The berry mint mixture can be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator, but it's recommended to mix in the sparkling water just before serving to retain the fizziness.
This Berry Mint Sparkler is not only visually appealing but also packed with antioxidants from the berries and the refreshing taste of mint. It's a wonderful option to share with your women's health newsletter readers, as it's hydrating, low in calories, and supports overall well-being.
If you have an event you would like to share with the
Beyond the Paper Gown community, email us at email@example.com.
“A woman with a voice is, by definition, a strong woman.”
– Melinda Gates